LIHEAP assists households with the costs for heating during the winter months (October 1st to March 31st), and cooling during the summer months (April 1st to September 30th). Available once per season (winter and summer), LIHEAP can pay for up to $300.00 on electricity, propane, or gas bills. Clients can not simultaneously receive assistance through DHS’ LIHEAP services in the same season.
LIHEAP eligibility is determined by household size and the entire household’s income. Amount of assistance provided is based on multiple factors, household size, household income, type of utility, and if the applicant is disabled/or an elder. Services will need to be in the applicant’s name.
Weatherization Starter Kits, Heaters/or Blankets, and A/C Units/or Fans are provided to eligible applicants once person season. Installation is the responsibility of the client. The program is not responsible for damage of broken units and will not provide replacements. Please contact the manufacturer for more information.
- At least one member of a federally-recognized American Indian or Alaska Native tribe per household (CDIB must be provided)
- The household receiving assistance must reside within the eleven (11) county service area
- Proof of income for all household members over eighteen (18) years of age. Income includes: Check stubs, SSI/SSA/VA award letters, TANF award letters, unemployment benefit statements, child support award letters, & an annual IIM account summary must be included in the proof of income
- Those who do not have income must fill out a “No Income Statement” and have it notarized original utility bill
- A copy of the bill will be provided to the client
- Accounts must be current and active and cannot already be disconnected
- Accounts that are disconnected will be automatically denied
Please contact the caseworker for more information by calling (405) 422-7476